The Board of Pensions offers benefits packages and dues incentive programs to support churches and ministries. Eligibility for ministers to receive these benefits varies by program. Churches and affiliated organizations may also offer individual benefits to ministers and employees who meet eligibility requirements. Learn more about partnering with the Board.
Pastor's Participation is a comprehensive benefits package designed to meet the needs of ministers and their families.
- Installed pastors must be enrolled in Pastor's Participation.
- Ministers who are not in an installed position and are regularly scheduled to work at least 20 hours per week may be offered Pastor's Participation.
- Coverage includes PPO family medical, Defined Benefit Pension Plan, Retirement Savings Plan of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Temporary Disability Plan, and Death and Disability Plan.
- Employer cost is 39 percent of effective salary.
Minister's Choice is a new benefits package that provides important financial protection for ministers.
- Coverage includes the Defined Benefit Pension Plan, Death and Disability Plan, Temporary Disability Plan, and Employee Assistance Plan.
- Minister's Choice also expands access to assistance and education programs now available only through Pastor's Participation.
- Employer cost is 10 percent of effective salary.
Pathways to Renewal is designed to provide hope of renewed leadership to small congregations and nourishment to innovative ministries.
- It brings young ministers into the Benefits Plan with the full benefits of Pastor's Participation at substantially reduced dues.
- To qualify, a congregation must have 150 or fewer members and not had an installed pastor for at least two years and not elected a Pastor Nominating Committee; or have any size membership and expand ministerial headcount.
- The minister being called through Pathways to Renewal must be under age 40; be either a candidate for ordination or an ordained minister of the Word and Sacrament; and not have been previously covered under Pastor's Participation in the Benefits Plan.
- Employer cost is 21 percent of effective salary (22 percent for 2023).
Benefits Grants for Organizing Pastors and Evangelists support the evangelism efforts of presbyteries planting churches and cultivating new ministries.
- These grants fund the enrollment of organizing pastors and evangelists in Pastor's Participation.
- The minister must be employed by the presbytery in church job code 301 for no less than 20 hours per week and meet additional criteria.
- The cost to the presbytery for this coverage is free for the first three years, with a reduction through year five.