Housing Supplements for retirees

Monthly Housing Supplements help eligible retirees to remain in their homes or move to retirement facilities. In addition to a monthly Housing Supplement, you may be eligible to receive a lump-sum Housing Supplement of up to $20,000 to help pay the entrance fee to a continuing care retirement community (CCRC).


A 74-year-old retired member, Mr. Adams, served the PC(USA) and participated in the Defined Benefit Pension Plan for 22 years. He now lives in an independent living unit of a retirement community.

Mr. Adams' total retirement income is $32,000 a year ($2,667 per month), which is below the $50,325 a year maximum in 2024. His assets add up to nearly $17,500, which is below the $25,000 maximum allowable for a single person in an independent living unit of a retirement community. His total housing expenses are $1,550 per month, which is below the $1,800 maximum monthly housing expenses considered for this grant.

Under the program, Mr. Adams will contribute 40 percent of his total monthly income, or $1,067 per month ($2,667 x .4 = $1,067). The difference between his total housing expenses ($1,550) and 40 percent of his monthly income ($1,067) is $483.

The Assistance Program would provide Mr. Adams with a monthly Housing Supplement of $483.

About Housing Supplements

The Assistance Program of the Board of Pensions provides monthly Housing Supplements to eligible retired plan members and their surviving spouses in need so they may remain in their own homes or move to retirement facilities in locations of their choice.

Housing Supplements are ongoing, unless the recipient's financial circumstances change.

In addition, depending on the levels of personal income and assets, retired plan members ages 65 or older may receive one-time financial assistance, paid in a lump sum, to help with the entrance fee to a retirement home.


The amount of support you may receive depends on your total income from all sources, your assets, and your marital status. See the Housing Supplement guidelines chart.

For individuals residing in assisted living, monthly housing expenses of up to $4,400 are considered, with a percentage of the applicant’s income helping to support those expenses. Couples can be considered independently for up to $4,400 monthly each (a total consideration of up to $8,800 monthly) in grants when both individuals need assisted living.

In addition to monthly Housing Supplements, you may be eligible to receive a lump-sum Housing Supplement of up to $20,000 to help pay the entrance fee to a continuing care retirement community (as well as an additional one-time matching grant of up to $3,000 with a CCRC for entry fees for Presbyterian homes and communities). To qualify, your total assets minus the entrance fee must be less than the maximum total assets allowed.


To qualify, you must:

  • be a retired member or surviving spouse age 65 or older of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) or Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad (KPCA)
  • be receiving a retirement or survivor’s pension from the Benefits Plan of the PC(USA)
  • have 15 or more years of participation in the Defined Benefit Pension Plan; you may receive up to a 10-year service credit if the retired member served PC(USA) congregations, mid councils, and/or agencies without enrollment in the pension plan but had at least five years of pension plan participation, for a combined 15 years of service*
  • have total annual income from all sources of less than $50,325 in 2024 or less than $73,810 in 2024 for assisted living (75 and 110 percent of congregational ministers’ median effective salary, respectively)
  • have assets that do not exceed the maximums in the Housing Supplement guidelines chart

*For surviving spouses, this eligibility requirement refers to the deceased spouse's years of plan participation/service. 

Housing Supplement guidelines
Your living situation Maximum total assets allowed Maximum monthly housing expenses considered by Assistance Program Percentage of your income to be contributed toward housing expenses
Home or apartment in the general community$35,000$50,000



Independent living unit in a retirement community$25,000$40,000



Assisted living unit in a retirement community$20,000$35,000

$4,400 per individual

67% single
75% couple

Custodial care at home$20,000$35,000$4,400 per individual67%

Other factors affecting eligibility

These additional factors may affect your eligibility for a Housing Supplement.


You will receive years-of-service credit for any years of total disability under the Benefits Plan.


Personal assets are a significant consideration in determining Housing Supplement eligibility, as the Assistance Program expects members to first use their own income and assets to maintain their quality of life.

  • Assets are items of value owned, such as balances in checking and savings accounts, principal in investment accounts, real estate, art, and jewelry. The value of all real estate is included among your assets, except if you live in the home for which you are seeking Housing Supplement assistance.
  • Assets are not monies paid to you on a regular basis from an outside source, such as a pension, Social Security, interest, or dividends.
  • You may reduce your assets to the maximum total assets allowed by paying (in full or in part) an entrance fee to a retirement home or prepaying funeral expenses. You may not divert funds to protect an estate or to provide benefits for family members.

Income sources

The Board assumes you have secured alternate protection if you are not receiving Social Security benefits.

How to apply

Need help?

Call the Board at 800-773-7752 (800-PRESPLAN) (TTY: 711).