How to enroll in an FSA

You can elect to participate in a healthcare and/or dependent care flexible spending account if offered by your employer.

If your employer offers flexible spending accounts (FSAs), you may enroll for these accounts when you are first eligible. You also may choose to waive participation.

  • The healthcare FSA and dependent care FSA are different accounts that require separate enrollment elections and contributions.
  • You may elect to participate in either or both types of FSAs.

Enrollment for FSAs is not through Benefits Connect. Your employer will tell you how to make your elections and will work directly with Further, the FSA administrator, to set up your contributions through payroll deductions.

You also may enroll or change the amount you contribute to your FSA during annual enrollment in the fall. Mid-year changes to your elections typically are not allowed unless you have a qualifying life event, such as a marriage or birth of a child. The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, has temporarily increased the flexibility of FSA elections in 2020 and 2021, and the American Rescue Plan Act raises the annual limits for pretax contributions to dependent care FSAs in 2021 only. Learn more about how these two pieces of legislation may affect you.

Once enrolled, you will receive a welcome packet from Further with additional information. If you enroll in the healthcare FSA, you’ll also receive a healthcare Visa debit card in a separate mailing.

Note: Enrollment in FSAs does not carry over from year to year. You must elect to participate annually and designate the amount you wish to contribute to each type of FSA, as applicable, for the year.