Waiving medical coverage

You may choose to waive medical coverage under certain circumstances. ​

​If you or your family members have access to other health coverage, for example, through your spouse’s employer, you may waive medical coverage as follows: 

  • If you are enrolled in menu options, you may waive medical coverage for yourself or your eligible family members. If you waive coverage for yourself, your family members are not eligible for coverage. 
  • If you are a minister of the Word and Sacrament in Pastor’s Participation, you may not waive medical coverage for yourself but may waive it for your family members. If you waive family coverage, your employer is still responsible for paying the full dues amount.


Consider the following if you are thinking about waiving medical coverage:

  • Before waiving medical coverage through the Board of Pensions and enrolling in your spouse’s employer health plan, you should confirm whether you are eligible to enroll in your spouse’s plan and the cost. Some employer health plans allow spouses to enroll only if the spouse does not have access to other medical coverage. If your spouse’s employer has this rule, you would not be able to enroll in his or her employer’s plan. In addition, some employers impose an additional charge for spouses who enroll in their plan but have access to coverage elsewhere.
  • If you are offered medical coverage through the Board and waive it, you cannot qualify for a subsidy for coverage obtained through a health insurance exchange.
  • If you waive medical coverage for yourself and/or family members, you will not be able to elect medical coverage until the next annual enrollment (unless you have a qualifying life event).

How to waive coverage

When electing benefits coverage on Benefits Connect, you may choose to

  • elect coverage;
  • enroll eligible family members; or
  • waive coverage.

If you waive coverage, your employee may require you to provide documentation that you have healthcare coverage through another source, such as your spouse’s employer.