The Board of Pensions is
unable to receive and process mail at this time while our offices are closed. To apply for a grant, email your completed application form to
email@example.com. If you have any questions, please
Through Sabbath Sabbatical Support, the Board helps eligible ministers take time away to engage in planned activities for personal and professional renewal.
Sabbath Sabbatical Support grants are provided to approved applicants and intended to supplement the financial support committed to the minister by other contributors, which may include the congregation, the presbytery, and other organizations.
To qualify, you must
- be a PC(USA) minister currently engaged in supporting congregational ministry*;
- be continuously enrolled in Pastor's Participation or Minister's Choice for at least the past six years;
- have an effective salary of no more than $80,000 and be able to demonstrate financial need;
- receive commitments of financial support for the sabbatical from other sources;
- take your sabbatical for a period of not less than four weeks;
- have not received a sabbatical grant in the last six years; and
- receive Board approval of a proposal detailing the activities and associated costs.
*Ministers serving in positions that directly support congregational ministry, such as interim ministers or mid council staff, may also be recommended for a grant by their presbytery.
Up to $3,000. The number of grants awarded each year is limited.
How to apply
- Complete the
Sabbath Sabbatical Support Grant Application. The application must be signed by the clerk of session and the presbyter or stated clerk of your presbytery.
- Prepare a sabbatical plan, detailing what will be done during the sabbatical (including travel plans), the associated costs, and the funding sources to pay for the activities planned. Be as specific as possible. Successful applications will consider sabbatical leave as a time for ministers to strategically disengage from the regular tasks of their ministries so that they can pursue new and different opportunities to consider their ministry and mission from a refreshed perspective.
- Submit the completed, signed grant application and your sabbatical plan at least 45 days before the first day of the sabbatical.
- Submit a brief post-sabbatical summary report to the Board of Pensions’ Assistance Program that addresses the goals outlined in your application.