This coverage is the same as the healthcare coverage offered to active members of the Benefits Plan — installed pastors, ministers, and employees.
Three medical coverage options, both administered by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, are available:
- The preferred provider organization (PPO) option provides the highest level of coverage and offers the most flexibility.
- The exclusive provider organization (EPO) option offers comprehensive coverage for care from network providers only, at a lower monthly cost than the PPO.
- The high deductible health plan (HDHP) is the lowest-cost medical option of the available medical options.
And after you graduate from seminary and enter the Benefits Plan as an ordained minister, remember the following:
- Minister Educational Debt Assistance Grants are available to help recently ordained ministers repay educational debt.
- You will be credited with three years of service for pension purposes. Pension credits vest at three years of service.
You may elect Medical Plan coverage in the Benefits Plan of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) if you are
- enrolled full time in a theological seminary, graduate school of religion, divinity school, or school of Christian education, as defined by the school;
- classified as an inquirer or candidate under the care of a presbytery, preparing for a church vocation in the PC(USA); and
- not already employed in eligible service.