To enroll in the Medical Plan for the first time, you must make your elections within the seminary student enrollment period,
August 15–September 30, 2017, or within 60 days of the beginning of your full-time seminary enrollment.
You may elect coverage for yourself and your eligible family members. If you elect coverage for your spouse and/or dependents, you must provide the supporting documentation specified on the application before the enrollment is complete. Supporting documentation is a marriage certificate, birth certificate, legal documentation for wards, or letter of intent or decree for adoption.
The completed application and all required supporting documentation must be postmarked within the enrollment period (or the 60 days).
You may elect coverage only during this enrollment period unless you
- experience a qualifying life event, such as the loss of medical coverage from another source (a spouse’s employer, for example); or
- were not classified as an inquirer or candidate during the August 15–September 30, 2017, enrollment period but now are.
You may enroll within 60 days of those events.
Seminary Student Benefits Plan Membership Application within the enrollment period; coverage cannot be retroactive. And enclose the following:
1. written verification from your presbytery that you are an inquirer or a candidate for ordination
2. written confirmation from your school of your status as a full-time student
3. a check for the cost of coverage for the first month (Or set up an account with BoardLink
, the Board’s online payment system, to pay monthly invoices. See
BoardLink under Available Resources.)
Your application cannot be processed without the first month’s payment.
Mail, email, or fax your completed application, with the above enclosures, during the enrollment period, using the contact information on the application.
Questions? Refer to the
Benefits Overview: Healthcare Coverage for Seminary Students or call the Board of Pensions at 800-773-7752 (800-PRESPLAN).
After your Medical Plan membership has been set up, it’s easy to maintain your coverage in your second and third years of seminary. Simply confirm your seminary student status during the late-summer enrollment period by submitting the following:
- written verification from your presbytery that you are an inquirer or a candidate for ordination
- written confirmation from your school of your status as a full-time student, stating your anticipated seminary graduation date
Coverage ends August 31 following your graduation.