Today, the Board of Pensions shares its new logo on pensions.org. The logo calls attention to the Board’s role as a national agency of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and carries the year 1717, when American Presbyterians established the Fund for Pious Uses to support pastors and their families.
The PC(USA) calls people to do the work of God’s kingdom and commits to support them. It fulfills that covenant through the Board of Pensions, which administers the church Benefits Plan.
The Benefits Plan represents the incorporation and expansion of benefits provided by the Presbyterian Church in the United States and United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America at the time of reunion. The plan, effective January 1, 1987, was founded on the belief that Scripture guides us to love and care for one another and that burdens are to be shared.
Nearly 30 years later, amid great change in the Church and the approach of the 300-year anniversary of the Fund for Pious Uses, the agency reexamined its mission: How might it better fulfill its role of administering benefits and assistance and providing educational plans and programs?
Seeking to ensure that its plans and programs would reflect the Church of today, the Board undertook a transformational process to serve more, serve better, and serve the Church. Central to that process was a redesign of the Benefits Plan.
As a result, the 2017 Benefits Plan maintains comprehensive benefits for pastors while adding flexibility so that more employers might provide benefits to more church workers. It does so while preserving the foundational values of the plan born of reunion.
The redesigned logo, like the redesigned plan, reflects foundational values as much as it does movement forward. The logo is a reminder that the PC(USA) is a connectional church, a community formed by God, and that the Board of Pensions embodies that connection.