Through the Sabbath Sabbatical Support Grant Program, the Board helps these pastors take time away to engage in planned activities for personal and professional renewal.
Sabbath Sabbatical Support Grants are intended to supplement the financial aid of other contributors.
To qualify, you must
- be a PC(USA) minister currently engaged in supporting congregational ministry*;
- be enrolled in Pastor's Participation in the Benefits Plan, and have been continuously enrolled in Pastor's Participation (formerly the Traditional Program) for at least the past six years;
- have an effective salary of no more than $80,000 and be able to demonstrate financial need;
- receive commitments of financial support for the sabbatical from other sources;
- take your sabbatical for a period of not less than four weeks;
- have not received a sabbatical grant in the last six years; and
- receive Board approval of a proposal detailing the activities and associated costs.
*Ministers serving in positions that directly support congregational ministry, such as interim ministers or mid council staff, may also be recommended for a grant by their presbytery.
Up to $3,000. The number of grants awarded each year is limited.
How to apply
- Complete the Sabbath Sabbatical Support Grant Program application. The application must be signed by the clerk of session and the presbyter or stated clerk of your presbytery.
- Prepare a sabbatical plan, detailing what will be done during the sabbatical (including travel plans), the associated costs, and the funding sources to pay for the activities planned. Be as specific as possible.
- Submit the completed, signed grant application and your sabbatical plan at least 45 days before the first day of the sabbatical.