Vision coverage through VSP provides coverage for annual eye exams and discounts on many vision health-related items and services.
You do not need an identification card for this coverage. Simply tell your VSP Choice network provider you have coverage through VSP, and provide him or her with the last four digits of your Social Security number and group number 30022595.
What Is Covered
You pay a $25 copay for your annual WellVision Exam, a routine eye exam, provided you see an optometrist or ophthalmologist that participates in the VSP Choice network. Your benefit covers the remaining cost of the exam, without a deductible. Remember, no claim forms are required when you see a VSP provider in the Choice network.
You also will receive discounts on vision-related items and services when you purchase them through a VSP network optometrist or ophthalmologist:
- prescription glasses
- 20 percent discount on lenses (when a complete pair of glasses is purchased)
- 20 percent discount on frames (when a complete pair of glasses is purchased)
- 20 percent discount on additional glasses and sunglasses (if purchased within 12 months of last WellVision Exam)
- contact lens exams
- 15 percent discount on contact lens exams (fitting and evaluation; no discount on contact lens)
- glasses and sunglasses lens options
- 20 percent discount on options such as progressives and anti-reflective coatings (discount only applies if the member purchases new glasses and frames)
- laser vision correction
- average discount of 15 percent off regular price or 5 percent off promotional price (available only from contracted facilities)
In addition to 2,300 regional retail chains in the VSP network, members have the option of purchasing frames from VSP partners such as Costco Optical, Visionworks, Rx Optical, and Shopko, to name a few. No discounts apply when purchasing frames from a VSP partner.
If you choose to go to an out-of-network provider — an eye doctor that does not accept payment from VSP — you pay the full cost of your routine annual eye exam up front. Submit your out-of-network claim to VSP manually, and you’ll be reimbursed up to $45 after your $25 copay is deducted.
If you are an active member of the Medical Plan, you and your eligible family members have access to vision coverage through VSP. You also have access when enrolled in medical continuation.
How To Enroll
You automatically have coverage through VSP when you enroll in the Medical Plan.