The Sabbath Sabbatical Support Grant Program allows eligible pastors of small churches to seek a stipend toward a sabbatical. The program helps provide an opportunity for pastors serving small congregations to take time away from the demands of the job and engage in a period of personal and professional renewal.
These grants are intended to supplement the financial aid of congregations, foundations, mid-councils, or other contributors. You must
- be a pastor who is currently serving a congregation of fewer than 200 members*;
- have served your current PC(USA) congregation for at least six years;
- be enrolled in Pastor's Participation in the Benefits Plan;
- be able to demonstrate financial need;
- receive additional financial support for the sabbatical from other sources, such as congregations, foundations, your synod or presbytery, or other contributors; and
- take your sabbatical for a period of not less than four weeks.
*Other ministers serving in positions that directly support congregational ministry may also be recommended for a grant through their presbytery.
Grants of up to $3,000 are available.
How to apply
The number of grants awarded each year is limited, and the Board of Pensions administers this program in cooperation with mid councils.
To determine if grants are still available, call the Assistance team of the Board of Pensions at 800-773-7752 (PRESPLAN).