Skip Navigation Linkshousing-supplements

Housing Supplements

Housing Supplement Example

Mr. Adams is a 74-year-old retired church worker who has served the PC(USA) and participated in the Pension Plan for 22 years. He now lives in an independent living unit of a retirement community.

Mr. Adams' total retirement income is $32,000 per year ($2,667 per month), which is below the $42,640 per year maximum. His assets add up to about $17,500, which is below the $25,000 maximum allowable for a single person in an independent living unit of a retirement community. His total housing expenses are $1,550 per month, which is below the $1,800 maximum monthly housing expenses considered for this grant.

Under the program, Mr. Adams will contribute 40 percent of his total monthly income ($2,667), which is $1,067 per month. The difference between his total housing expenses ($1,550) and 40 percent of his monthly income ($1,067) is $483.

The Assistance Program would provide Mr. Adams with a monthly Housing Supplement of $483.  


The Assistance Program of the Board of Pensions provides monthly Housing Supplements to eligible retired Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) ministers and employees and their surviving spouses in need so they may remain in their own homes or move to retirement facilities in locations of their choice. Typically, Housing Supplements are ongoing, unless the recipient's financial circumstances change.

In addition, eligible retired plan members 65 years of age or older may receive one-time financial assistance, paid in a lump sum, to help with the entrance fee to a retirement home.


To qualify for a Housing Supplement, retired members or surviving spouses must

  • be age 65 years or older;
  • be receiving a retirement or survivor's pension from the Benefits Plan;
  • have 20 or more years of service to the PC(USA) and a commensurate period of participation in the Pension Plan*;
  • have total income from all sources of $42,640 per year or less ($60,910 per year or less for assisted living); and
  • have assets** that do not exceed the set maximums (see Housing Supplement guidelines chart).

You will receive year-of-service credit for any years of total disability under the plan.

Personal assets are a significant consideration in determining Housing Supplement eligibility. The Assistance Program expects members to first use their own income and assets to maintain their quality of life. You may reduce your assets to the maximum total assets allowed (shown in the Housing Supplement guidelines chart) by paying (in full or in part) an entrance fee to a retirement home or prepaying funeral expenses. You may not divert funds to protect an estate or to provide benefits for family members.

If you are not receiving Social Security benefits, the Board assumes you have secured alternate protection, and any assistance is reduced by an amount the Board determines would have been payable under Social Security.

Housing Supplement guidelines

Your living situation


Maximum total assets allowed

Maximum monthly housing expenses considered by Assistance Program


Percentage of your income to be contributed toward housing expenses





Home or apartment in the general community







Independent living unit in a retirement community







Congregate living unit (separate living quarters, no cooking facilities) in a retirement community or equivalent home support







Assisted living unit in a retirement community or equivalent home support








*Partial supplementation may be available for those with at least 10 but fewer than 20 years of service to the PC(USA), during which they participated in the Pension Plan.

**Assets are items of value owned, such as balances in checking and savings accounts, principal in investment accounts, real estate, art, and jewelry; they are not monies paid to you on a regular basis from an outside source such as a pension, Social Security, interest, or dividends. Include the value of all real estate among your assets, except if you live in the home for which you are seeking Housing Supplement assistance.


The amount of support you may receive depends on your total income from all sources, your assets, and your marital status. See the Housing Supplement guidelines chart.

In addition to monthly Housing Supplements, you may be eligible to receive a lump-sum Housing Supplement of up to $20,000 for help to pay the entrance fee to a continuing care retirement community. To qualify, your total assets minus the entrance fee must be less than the maximum total assets allowed (shown in the Housing Supplement guidelines chart).

How to apply

More information

For more information, call the Assistance team of the Board of Pension at 800-773-7752 (800-PRESPLAN).