Skip Navigation Linksemergency-assistance-grants

Emergency Assistance Grants

Ministers and employees of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and PC(USA)-affiliated employers, both active and retired, may be eligible for Emergency Assistance Grants. The grants are for a one-time need, and your mid council or employer must be financially unable to participate in a Shared Grant

Before you apply, make every effort to obtain help through public entitlement programs, such as Medicare, Medicaid, and Supplemental Security Income. Each application is reviewed on its merits, as determined by applicant need and resources.

The Board of Pensions may also make an Emergency Assistance Grant to a group of employees affected by a natural disaster. The mid council or employer in the affected region should provide its Church Consultant with the number of ministers and employees involved. The Board will make emergency assistance decisions after receiving information on the magnitude of the need.


To qualify, you must have an emergency or unexpected financial need and

  • be employed by a congregation, mid council, agency, or PC(USA)-affiliated employer; or
  • receive a retirement or survivor's pension from the Benefits Plan of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

The need could result from extraordinary medical expenses, a family emergency, custodial care at home, or any number of special situations beyond Benefits Plan or other coverage.


Emergency Assistance Grants may not exceed $5,000 each and a total of $15,000 in a 12-month period.

How to apply

Ministers should contact their mid councils to discuss their need and assistance possibilities; other employees should contact their employer. Then, do the following:

  • Obtain a Shared/Emergency Assistance Grant application from your mid council or employer, complete and sign it, and have your mid council or employer sign it. (If they do not have an application, they can obtain a copy from the Board of Pensions.)
  • Submit it to the Board at the address on the form, along with
    • documentation of the need for the total grant amount requested; and
    • a brief explanation from your mid council or employer on why emergency or benevolence funds are not available for a Shared Grant.

The Assistance Program will consult with the mid council or employer to confirm the need for assistance and ensure that resources for a Shared Grant have been exhausted and no community resources are available.

More information

For more information, call the Assistance team of the Board of Pensions at 800-773-7752 (800-PRESPLAN).