Skip Navigation Linkschurch-workers-urgent-financial-needs

Church Workers with Urgent Financial Needs

When an urgent financial need arises that cannot be met through personal and other resources, the Assistance Program may be able to help active and certain retired PC(USA) church workers with assistance in the form of

Church workers participating in the Benefits Plan of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) also may be eligible for

Shared Grants

A Shared Grant is recommended (initiated) by a mid council, an employing organization, or multiple bodies of the Church willing to share equally with the Board in the cost of providing the grant to help with one-time financial needs or emergency situations. The Board carefully reviews the need and available resources, deciding each case on its merits.

How To Apply

To apply for a Shared Grant, pastors should contact their mid councils; other workers should contact their employers.

Emergency Assistance Grants

An Emergency Assistance Grant may be awarded to help an active church worker with a one-time need when a mid council or employer is unable to participate in a Shared Grant because of insufficient funds. The applicant must satisfy the following requirements:

  • First applies for a Shared Grant, and the mid council or employer verifies, in writing, that no funds are available for its portion of the grant.
  • Commits some personal resources toward the expense and makes every effort to obtain any funds available in the community.

The Assistance Program will consult with the mid council or employer to confirm the need for assistance and ensure that other resources for a Shared Grant have been exhausted and no community resources are available.


Emergency Assistance grants may not exceed $5,000 each and $15,000 per year.

How To Apply

To apply for an Emergency Assistance Grant, pastors should contact their mid councils; other workers should contact their employer.

Adoption Assistance Grants

Adoption Assistance grants are available for each dependent child you adopt who is under age 21. The grant is intended to help with adoption-related expenses, including

  • medical expenses not reimbursed by the Medical Plan;
  • adoption agency fees;
  • placement fees;
  • attorney’s fees;
  • related travel expenses; or
  • home study fees.

At the time of the adoption, you must

  • be an active member of the Medical Plan;
  • be employed by a local church, council, General Assembly agency, or an organization under the jurisdiction of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.); and
  • enroll the adopted child for coverage in the Medical Plan.


These grants are for a fixed amount: $3,000 per child.

How To Get a Grant

After the adoption has been finalized, provide the Board with the following:

For a domestic adoption

  • the final adoption decree

For an international adoption

  • the final adoption decree
  • a copy of the child’s passport or written permission to remove the child from his or her native country

    Transition-to-College Assistance Grants

    This grant program is intended to help eligible families of entering college freshmen with transitional expenses such as

    • a computer purchase;
    • dorm furnishings.

    A one-time grant is available to qualifying plan members whose employer is under direct governance of the PC(USA), whose household's adjusted gross income does not exceed $114,600, and whose college-bound child is a dependent enrolled in the Benefits Plan. The child must be enrolled full time at an accredited college or university.


    Amounts range from $500 to $1,000, depending on total family income.

    How To Apply

    Grant applications for the 2016-2017 academic year will be accepted between August 1, 2016, and June 30, 2017. Complete the Transition-to-College Assistance Grant Application and return it with the required documentation to the Board at the address listed on the form.

    Two hurricanes in three weeks created an unexpected need for assistance. Watch this pastor’s story.