Skip Navigation Linksdivorce


Divorce is a qualifying life event that permits you to change benefits elections, covered eligible family members, and beneficiaries (if applicable).

The member must log on to Benefits Connect to report a divorce within 60 days of the divorce date to be eligible to elect benefits and change covered eligible family members. (From the member's Benefits Connect home page, choose About Me, then Life Events.) If the divorce is not reported within 60 days of the date of the divorce, the member will not be able to change benefits or covered eligible family members until the next annual enrollment, usually in the fall, unless the member has another qualifying life event. The member will continue to be responsible for any cost of coverage required by the employer while coverage is in effect.

Additional Information and Key Documents

The Board will contact you regarding additional information, required supporting documentation required, and next steps. Some of the information you will need is

  • a draft of any court order dividing your pension and other benefits; you will need to obtain the Board's approval before submitting the document to the court;
  • court order stating the date of termination of the marriage;
  • domestic relations order, if applicable, which establishes your former spouse's legal right to receive a designated percentage of your qualified plan account balance or benefits payments;
  • qualified medical child support order, if applicable, which requires you to provide medical, dental, and/or vision coverage to a child who might not otherwise be covered.

When you are notified, you will be able to change your contact information, elect or change benefits, change covered eligible family members (if needed), and update beneficiary information through Benefits Connect.

Effects on Your Pension Benefit

Divorce may affect how pension benefits are paid. Members should be aware that

  • pension and survivor benefits cannot be paid to a former spouse unless the Board of Pensions has accepted a court order assigning a portion of the benefit to the former spouse (a domestic relations order, or DRO);
  • preapproval by the Board of Pensions of any court order is required;
  • if the court order so provides, an alternate payee (spouse, former spouse, or dependent) may begin to receive assigned retirement benefits any time after the member reaches the earliest retirement age allowed under the plan.

Additional Information

The Benefits Plan and Divorce describes the effects this event can have on an individual's benefits under the plan. The booklet also includes sample court orders that will assist counsel in preparing an appropriate domestic relations order to assign pension and survivor's pension benefits to your former spouse, if applicable.