When you attend a theological seminary, graduate school of religion, divinity school, or school of Christian education full time as an inquirer or candidate under the care of a presbytery, you may be eligible to purchase comprehensive healthcare coverage through the Board of Pensions at a significantly reduced cost.
Two medical coverage options, both administered by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, are available:
- The preferred provider organization (PPO) option provides the highest level of coverage and offers the most flexibility.
- The exclusive provider organization (EPO) option offers comprehensive coverage for care from network providers only, at a lower monthly cost than the PPO.
Individual coverage, for example, will cost $298.50 per month in the EPO. That pricing represents a 44 percent savings for seminary students off the regular cost of coverage in the EPO, and still includes the full range of health services and prescription drug benefits available to ministers and employees.
If eligible, you may elect coverage
- during the enrollment period, August 1-September 15, 2018;
- within 60 days of full-time seminary enrollment;
- within 60 days of being classified as an inquirer or candidate for ordination.
For more information, see Seminarians.