Skip Navigation LinksDefault

Turning 65

When you turn age 65, you need to take specific actions and consider some decisions related to healthcare coverage and your finances, whether or not you plan to retire or continue working.

If you decide to keep working, your employer must complete the Small Employer Exception Election Employer Certification form and return it to the Board before you turn 65.

If you are planning to retire, visit the Retirees section of for more details about healthcare coverage and finances during retirement, as well as information about death benefits, housing considerations, post-retirement service, and a listing of many of the resources and support available to you.

Reviewing Your Finances

Active and disabled members who are enrolled in the Pension Plan can use Benefits Connect to calculate a secure pension estimate. Use the information to assess your current and future financial standing and the various options available to you.

Your Pension Benefit

The benefit you receive from the Pension Plan depends on the age at which you retire and the payment option you choose. Visit the Pension Plan section of for more information. If you were not vested prior to age 65 and you are currently an active or disabled member of the plan, you are automatically vested on your 65th birthday.

Your Social Security Benefits

If you qualify for Social Security benefits, you can begin receiving reduced benefits at age 62. Eligibility for full retirement benefits depends on your year of birth. Earnings limitations apply if you choose to begin taking Social Security before your full retirement age. Before initiating your Social Security benefits, review your options and the rules around receiving them.

Your Retirement Savings Plan Account

If you are a participant in the Retirement Savings Plan of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), a 403(b)(9) plan, you can begin withdrawing funds from your account at age 59 ½. However, these funds are intended to provide income during retirement, so most participants wait until they retire. You may want to consult with your tax or financial adviser about the distribution elections and amounts best suited for your needs and future plans.